June 24, 2021
The Fairfax County College Board nominated a few Northern Virginia businesses to the Virginia College Boards Association (VSBA) Company Honor Roll for their assist of K-12 education and learning. The businesses—the Capital Space Foods Lender, Cox Communications and Cox Enterprise, and Synetic Theater—were regarded at the Board’s regular enterprise meeting on Thursday, June 24.
Cash Area Food items Financial institution
The Money Spot Foodstuff Bank (CAFB) serves men and women and people throughout the location with the assist of roughly 450 regional partners—including Fairfax County General public Colleges.
Collectively, CAFB and FCPS provide households healthy foods in numerous means, like keeping month to month “Family members Marketplaces” at quite a few faculty web sites, furnishing soon after-university meals bags, and using a converted school bus to guidance food distribution in the course of the local community. When the pandemic shuttered lots of corporations, impacting careers and food stuff safety, the will need to provide nutritious foods to people who ended up battling rose to a new stage.
CAFB labored intently with FCPS Food stuff and Nutrition Products and services, Family members Engagement teams, faculty staff members, the Office of Conversation and Neighborhood Relations, and the FCPS Title I Workplace to resume the Household Marketplaces at the start out of the new faculty year at 8 university internet sites:
- Annandale Terrace Elementary
- Bren Mar Park Elementary
- Weyanoke Elementary
- Mount Vernon Elementary
- Lynbrook Elementary
- Riverside Elementary
- Glen Forest Elementary
- Walt Whitman Center
In the previous decade, Capital Region Foods Banking institutions has dispersed 62 million meals in Fairfax County. In this fiscal yr, they have distributed just about 10 million meals—three occasions as several as was dispersed at the exact time final calendar year.
Cox Communications and Cox Business enterprise
Cox Communications and Cox Small business have been useful associates with Fairfax County Community Educational facilities for a lot of a long time. In 2020, that partnership proved to be far more vital than ever as Cox worked to guarantee that all FCPS college students had broadband internet access at property for digital mastering.
Internet entry is a requirement for students to function and do well in college. But a broadband world-wide-web link is not free, and subsidies have limitations—producing a electronic divide for some. This yr, Cox stepped up to bridge this gap and made the Cox-FCPS Link2Compete (C2C) company. The objective of the job was to produce backed world-wide-web solutions to FCPS families who usually may well have long gone without having, and to simplify the remarkably specific software procedure.
Other Cox partnerships with FCPS contain:
- In the spring of 2020, Cox Communications doubled down, donating $20K to the Basis for FCPS—supporting initiatives linked to internet connectivity and food insecurity.
- Since the early 2000s, and again this 12 months, Cox Communications has aired FCPS’ general public company announcements at no price, preserving taxpayers additional than a million dollars in likely expenses.
- Kathryn Falk, Northern Virginia Vice President at Cox Communications, has served as an efficient chairperson on the board for the Basis for Fairfax County Public Educational institutions.
- And, Cox Company prospects initiatives that stimulate FCPS management to interact in chamber of commerce routines as community speakers—speaking on a array of troubles that matter to our community.
For the previous 5 a long time, the artists at Synetic Theater have offered skilled advancement to FCPS theater and dance academics in prepare-the-trainer style, and supported academics and learners with masterclasses.
In excess of the past school year, Synetic generously presented lecturers and students with many length studying prospects. These exclusive possibilities incorporated: digital discuss-backs with learners, online video masterclasses that have been posted on our FCPS Theater Arts Length Mastering web page (the Virtual BlackBox), and artists who served facilitate Cappies critic rooms.
Synetic artists also presented virtual performances for FCPS academics and college students to use for course or personalized use.
For every a School Board initiative, Great Arts field journeys are typically delivered to all elementary pupils and center school Theater Arts college students associated in audio, visible arts, and theater. Not sure of whether that would take place this yr or not, Synetic delivered.
Synetic Theater was the only theater partner that furnished virtual middle school theater field trips this year—allowing college students to delight in and master from their ordeals attending the live expert theater gatherings.
Other Synetic initiatives this year incorporated:
- Supporting visual arts and theater pupils at some Title I educational institutions by giving SmARTies Bins at no cost. SmARTies packing containers, like the candy that influenced the identify, contained brief and sweet art initiatives. The tangible materials inspired students and dad and mom to break absent from their screens and products and link in other methods. Each and every FCPS region was concerned students from Herndon, Providence, Lynbrook, Newington Forest, and Bailey’s Higher elementary educational institutions received the kits.
- Synetic Theater presents absolutely free and discounted tickets to their performances for FCPS theater academics and learners, and their schooling department has labored with various higher school instructors on profitable Wolftrap and area grants that help the arts in their classroom and extracurricular applications.
The VSBA Enterprise Honor Roll is introduced just about every spring as a way for faculty districts to identify regional enterprises for the assist of public education and learning. Companies and neighborhood groups intrigued in becoming associates are inspired to make contact with Jay Garant in the Office environment of Enterprise and Neighborhood Partnerships at 571-423-1225 or [email protected](hyperlink sends email).
This push launch was manufactured by the Fairfax County Community Educational facilities.The views expressed below are the author’s personal.